Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sometimes the best party is no party

I could sit here and apologize for discussing the same things over and over again, but I won't. I care about the things I write about. If I didn't, I wouldn't have much to say, and since I have a lot to say, I care.

That said, here's some evidence that either my non-partisan effort is working, or that more and more people are like me: sick of current politics. I didn't realize that the numbers were so high. Unaffiliated voters now outnumber party voters in some very important states: Iowa, Massachusetts, and New Jersey. Too bad that in Iowa, you have to be a registered Republican or Democrat to caucus in those presidential primaries. Then you're pretty much left with the major party candidates. I guess you could vote for other people, but without a large enough independent population, it would be tough to actually elect anyone.

What would be great is if the two major parties get scared. Once they do, they'll realize that they can't always just fight each other; they have to have real agendas that actually benefit the American people. So many times, the politicians act only in the interest of being elected. And to get elected in this country, you almost have to be affiliated with either the Democratic or Republican party. That two-sided thinking creates situations where the politicians only give the American people two choices: ours or theirs. In truth, there are many other solutions to the problems, but independents aren't a big enough group to actually gain any respect for their side(s). Hopefully now that the numbers are growing for independents, they will be able to make a valuable impact on government.

If we would have just listened to our forefathers, we might not be in this mess, and others. George Washington, the very first president of this country, said,
"The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism."
He already knew, or had a feeling, that party politics were bad, that it would lead to a scary situation. Maybe that's where we're going?

No comments:

Post a Comment